Make your own tissue pom poms with our handy step by step instructions.
You will need:
Tissue or crepe paper and thin craft wire.Method:
1. Cut 8-10 pieces of tissue/crepe paper about 20x25cm each. The exact size doesn't matter. The more layers you use, the fuller your pompom will be (but don't make it too thick or it will be difficult to tease out the tissue at the end).
2. Put the paper in a pile and fold it like an accordion until you have one thin folded piece.
3. Cut a piece of craft wire about 8cm long.
4. Secure the wire around the centre of the folded paper. If you are going to hang the pompom, it is quite helpful to attach a length of nylon to the wire at this point.
5. Use strong scissors to carefully cut a �petal tip� shape on each end of the folded piece.
6. You can experiment with a rounded or pointed shape to achieve different effects (we've shown both options on the same piece here).
7. Gently pull the first side out into a fan shape.
8. Gently pull each piece of paper (alternating left and right) towards the top centre of the flower, separating each sheet of paper from the others to form the petals of the flower.
9. Repeat on the other half.
The pompoms may need to be "fluffed out" more evenly once you have teased out each piece of paper. Here you can see the effects using the different petal shapes at step 5.